Thursday, October 23, 2008

Viennese Apfelstrudel



I travel to Wien (Vienna in English) frequently for work, and on the way home from my trip last week, I stopped at the Sacher Cafe in the Vienna Airport (the same scene of the real Sachertorte escapade back in July... my how time flies when all you do is eat fancy cakes).

Anyway, this time, while waiting for my flight (ok, so what if I only had 10 minutes before I had to go through security, but that is all the time you need to down a piece of cake my friends...), I decided to enjoy a melange (recall, melange = coffee with whipped cream!) and a piece of Viennese Apfelstrudel - or apple strudel for the linguistically challenged.

When we were in Vienna last year with Val we actually watched a short demonstration about how to make Viennese Apfelstrudel while visiting Schloss Schoenbrunn and it was really interesting. They really care about their pastry here, and that makes me happy. Don't believe me... ok, fine, here is proof:

Ok. Yes. I am officially a geek that keeps photos in her inventory of apfel strudel making. Let it be know. Go scream it off some nearby mountain already and let's carry on with the strudel review....

Here you can see the delicate layers of pastry, cinnamon-y sugary goodness, and firm apple slices with just a hint of raisins. Yum.

I have to say it, and it pains me, but while this was good it was not better than the Sachertorte.

I don't know if I can even compare them really without being incarcerated, but I did. So there.

Let me repeat it just to get my message across - I would have preferred the chocolately Sacher in hindsight, but this was still great strudel. The filling was lovely. And it was a HUGE piece for 4.50 Euro.

Recommendation - don't ask them to warm it. I felt it took a lot of the buttery, layery goodness out of what would have probably been the best pastry in the world.


Nevertheless, who am I to say... perhaps you should try it yourself!

Ps. They had great looking apple strudels and about 1538 other kinds of strudel at the Lucerne market!

4 comments:

N said...

I always wanted to visit Vienna and Salzburg. It must be an amazing country.

Chantal said...

When I was in Vienna, I also tried both :) I actually liked the apple strudel better than the Sachertorte. I found the torte a little dry for my Betty Crocker American tastes. Maybe that's sacrilege, I don't know.

Joanna Serowa Marzycielka said...

Yeah, Vienna is an amazing place. What a pity, that I had no time for eating such delicious sweets! I think that sweets, fruits and cheese are the things I would like to try in every place I go, especially if I know the place is famous for the food :)

Once I’ve been in Vienna and I got completely lost :/ So, I just sat on the grass next to the parliament trying to figure out, what to do next. I was pretty scared – crowded by tourists, alone, without the phone no. to our guide (stupid me!) After about 5 minutes of sitting on the grass, the whole group which was travelling in the same bus as me, came to me saying: “Where were you Joanna?! We’ve been looking for you!” I didn’t wanted them to think I was irresponsible or piss them piss off, so I said: “Oh my, you’re so sweet, and I’ve been waiting here for you for a long time...” :) Uff, that was close.

PS: I should mention here, that at that time my dream was to go to Vienna, like now I wanna go to Switzerland. I did it in a strange way – I travelled to Bratislava & Vienna alone, without any friend, boyfriend, school mate or family member. And that was probably the cause of my lost: I had no idea where the rest of the group was :/

JuanitaTortilla said...

Apple strudel = YUM.

In fact, I shall go make me some apple crumble for tea today.
Can't wait to break into that Zimt bottle!

 

Contact me. | Advertise on Swisstory