Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What is this piece of Easter heaven?


Hello? Tap tap? Anyone out there or is everyone on Easter vacation still?!

Well, if that is the case, perhaps you can help me with this question related to Easter - what on earth is this???

I saw these little cakes all over in Ticino this past weekend. The cakes come in all sizes, from 100 grams to the whopping, prop up an unstable stable 750 gram variety. They are almost always shaped in this cross/dove/wacky Swiss cross shape, too. And eventually I broke down and bought a wee one to share with Jace before riding up the Funicular in Locarno... and by share I mean he totally cheated me out of most of it!

It reminds me of a Panatone, a completely Italian delight - the cake is dense with fruit pieces scattered lightly throughout and there are these nuggets of sugar on top which are so nice that I almost shed a tear each time one slid off my next bite and onto the floor.

I would like to know more about these if anyone is proficient in little cakes that come out at Easter. Your services are appreciated. Thanks.

---
Don't miss the latest Expatica post here! Swiss Greetings 101

4 comments:

M'dame Jo said...

What's the name of the white bird, symbol of peace? It's supposed to be one of those. I don't know where the tradition comes from, I just know it's made for Easter.

Anonymous said...

It's a colomba the Easter version of panettone invented by Motta.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colomba_Pasquale; http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colomba_pasquale

Susan May said...

I had one, which I found here in Zurich at the Coop, but it came from Como, Italy - and it was delicious! I wondered about the shape. Thank you M'dame Jo - by the way, the bird is called a dove. What a lovely image: a yummy bread that stands for peace.

Shaun said...

Great pics. I havent checked in for awhile and really looks good!

 

Contact me. | Advertise on Swisstory