Friday, October 16, 2009

Marroni Zeit! Sweet Noodles of Chesnut


Maroni cake - Seasonal speciality in the Swiss Fall

I am tempted to write all about my bad run in at the Gemeide this morning... but instead, let's enjoy our Friday and share in the sweet, sweet pleasures of living in Switzerland and not the bureaucratic crap that one must endure sometimes in order to do the right thing...

Instead, allow me to tell you what the right thing to do this weekend would be that would bring pleasure to you and everyone you know... you ready for this gem of advice.... ? Ok...

GO EAT CAKE!

Go forth and eat lots of cake this weekend, and if you know what is good for you, you will seek out the seasonal delights with Maroni (or sometimes spelled Marroni in Switzerland). Maroni are chestnuts, and in Switzerland they puree these little babies into a paste and squeeze the sweetened spagehetti strands of goodness all over cream laden cakes and pies. More about Maroni in English and German. . .

At first, I was not a fan of this brown puree, thinking it was a little too bland for my sweet tooth. But I have found it depends on the cake and this one above from a bakery in Appenzell went down a treat... and don't get me started on the meringue garnish on top. HEAVEN.

And well, if you don't like cake, I am sure you will find some other option during these days quickly grown cold... perhaps something traditional and warm and apple-y... hhmm... not sure exactly what... but I am sure you will find something. :)


Apfelstrudel also from bakery in Appenzell
---
Tweet-tweet. I am now on Twitter. Follow me!

2 comments:

Chantal said...

I didn't like marroni at first either. It takes some getting used to for an American's sugar level to adjust. But now I'm a fan too.

Unknown said...

Oh does that look incredible. The best thing we did was bring a few tubes home with us of the marroni from Migros. Yum Yum...

 

Contact me. | Advertise on Swisstory