Tuesday, June 3, 2008

HOT TIP! How to save 50% on IKEA delivery in Zurich

Today I went to IKEA Spreitenbach (surprise, surprise, if you don't know me by now, I heart IKEA by like a million).

Long story short, after checking out I saw this sign that basically says that you can save 50% on the delivery costs at IKEA by showing a valid round trip public transportation ticket when you checkout (or at customer service... not sure... I went to the latter). So since I don't have a car yet and I did come with the bus this was fantastic news to me!!!

However, let it be said that the IKEA customer service rep I went to in an effort to get this discount was a real hard ass. He was reading the fine print of the ticket to make sure that it had enough zones and that it was 'hin und zuruck' and not just one way. He even went so far as to tell me that the zones on my ticket weren't valid and that I was riding 'schwarz' or black despite the fact that I asked for a round trip ticket to IKEA when I bought it! I almost went CRAZY on this man, right there... in my favorite shopping place on earth... we know it would have hurt me more than him... but I held it together and in the end the guy caved and realized he was wrong (only after asking his manager about bus zones!!! OMG!!!!).

Anyway, the point is, if you were to say... oh, I don't know... buy a round trip ticket from Zürich to IKEA before you bought a big purchase that you needed delivered, you could save HEAPS on your IKEA delivery fees. But in an effort to promote being green, I would PREFER that you actually did take public transport to IKEA... okay?

Anyway, a round trip ticket from Zürich to either IKEA near Zürich is way less than the 95 CHF minimum delivery fees (you'll save 50%!). So think about it.

I am actually considering posting a craigslist ad for someone to send me a ticket to IKEA from the day of my mega purchase - and then I'll go back and claim 50% of the delivery fee... but that would just be crazy, I know.*
Also the mid-summer sales are on. I can attest that there are some good deals to be had before the new catalog comes out in August! Go.. run... now! (but for God's sake take public transport, didn't you read this post!) ;)

*(We bought them on 4/26. Post in the comments if you have a round trip ticket to Spreitenbach- for real! You will save me 150 CHF!!!)

9 comments:

N said...

That's awesome! I bought everything from Ikea but I will eventually give them or sell them to someone when I move to Denmark.

Pumpkin said...

I love Ikea and am sad we don't have one close by. We used to go there just to eat sometimes and browse around. :)

blogger tset said...

Very cool! Thanks for the heads-up!

Greetings from Villigen
basedinvilligen.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Did you post this recently on one of the expat yahoo groups? Someone did...

Jessica said...

Yes. I did!

Jessica said...

OMG- you would not believe it if I told you but I'm telling you anyway.

I found the train ticket that I bought back in April for the day we went to IKEA and bought two beds and lots of furniture. The delivery bill was huge! And guess what?!!?

They accepted the train ticket today and I got my 50% rebate for the delivery fee.

You know, I used to just love IKEA. I didn't think it was possible to love them anymore, but I do. That is customer service. Thank you IKEA.

So remember, take public transportation when you want to get IKEA delivered and save 50% on the delivery fees!

megna said...

That is so cool! Does IKEA still do this?

Jessica said...

Megna, I believe they do. Just call them and ask...

Scharf Indisches Essen Zürich said...

I really like your blog on Switzerland. We are making plans our excursion in the next couple of weeks

 

Contact me. | Advertise on Swisstory