Thursday, March 26, 2009

5 Things I am definitely doing this April...

1. Visiting the Zurich Arboretum

Last year we just happened upon the Arboretum as the flowers were blooming all over the place. This magical spot on the river is amazing - there are flowers everywhere. It was great. I cannot wait to just have a lazy Saturday or Sunday in the city and take some shots of whatever is blossoming. These photos are from last year, taken at the end of March actually, so don't wait too long! Start stalking now!

2. Stuffing my gills full of rhubarb

I love rhubarb. It is just coming into the shops now with other great produce like asparagus, fresh strawberries from Spain and raspberries from who knows where... It is down to 8.95 CHF per kilo now. That is pretty good. Perhaps I will be cooking up some rhubarb compote in March even! (Ps. Want to know more about what produce is in season when in Switzerland? Check out this blog)


3. Setting up a flower box (or most likely boxes) on my balcony

That's right. I have had balcony boxes like these since last year, but I wasn't confident enough to join the universal gardening society that is Switzerland so hastily. But there is no fear this year... This year there will be lots of gardening going on here at Swisstory. Get ready to see green. Green thumbs, green flowers, greeneries... Oh will there ever be green. Lots of surprises here. Stay tuned.


4. Attending Sechseläuten and the burning of the Böögg - Monday, April 20th.

Last year, I was back in Boston for a mini-work trip, training my successor during the Sechselauten (pronounced, no joke, in Swiss German as "Sexy Leute"... which means "Sexy People..." oh yes. Coincidence?). This year, it is all about the burning snowman baby. Save a match for me.

Before...
photos from Flickr user MuntyPix /before & after

After...

Have I missed anything?

5. Oh yeah, don't forget the Blogger Meet-up on April 26th.

It is not too late to say you want to come, too!

13 comments:

N said...

I'm amazed that this beautiful country has so many great traditions:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a great collection of ideas for April. If you see an American lady with glasses at the Arboretum, that'll be me. Plus thanks as well for the link to fresh attitude for what produce is in season. I was just wondering about that this morning as I was writing my shopping list.

Anonymous said...

not a comment but a minor grammatical correction: it's 'definitely' in the title

Jessica said...

Thank you, Anonymous. I will add learning how to spell to this list. :)

Virginia, I am glad that you enjoyed the list. I will look for you in the Arboretum! :)

Unknown said...

Now that does look exciting. I love the flowers and have been imagining them from my visit to Zurich area last March.. Oh I miss that. There were a few beautiful sunny days in there even with all of that snow.

Young Traveler said...

Yes and yes! (Especially #4 and 5).

Amanda said...

Um, I have been staring at that beautiful rhubarb in the supermarket for a couple of weeks. I've never used it before, but I know people bake it in pie. You've inspired me to go out and get some and make a pie! (First I need to buy a pie tin...)

M'dame Jo said...

Jessica, let's talk seriously for a second. I admire your attempts of adopting swiss traditions, but please, DON'T GROW GERANIUMS ;-) and you really don't have to put a swiss flag either, even on August 1st.

I'm surprised there are flowers outside of the balcony - on the pic - I thought the flowers pots had to face the inside of the balcony - you know, so it's doesn't fall on someone's head if there's a strong wind.

Amanda > rhubarb is really acid. Yummy, but acid. Don't hesitate to put lots of sugar. It's delicious in jams with strawberries.

Jessica said...

M'dame Jo - You are so right... no worrie there. No geraniums and no flags. I have a mixed seed package that I want to use, and perhaps some marigolds? are those ok? :)

As for the placement, I think most of our neighborhood would be outies instead of innies, but I guess that is quite dangerous when I think about it.

And Amanda... yes, SUGAR. Good tip, Jo. I use lots of sugar in my rhubarb compote and eat it over the honey flavored greek yogurt found at migros. It is delicious. I would also recommend a crumble, but that is only because I do not like to deal with pie crust, even the store bought kind. Good luck and happy eating.

M'dame Jo said...

Anything but geraniums :-)

I guess I would make an exception for chalets: http://img2.photographersdirect.com/img/21621/wm/pd1386001.jpg

Michelle Glauser said...

Wow, I don't even know what to do with rhubarb!

Jessica said...

Well... Michemily, I am not surprised. It is a secret wonder of the garden. I think we need a special post just about Rhubarb... I will put that on my list of things to do.

Stacy said...

LOL - Sexy People? You are funny!! Sechseläuten means 6 O'Clock Bells!!
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sechsel%C3%A4uten

lol...

PS, get there really early to get a decent viewing spot!!

 

Contact me. | Advertise on Swisstory