Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Art of the Wiener Schnitzel

Jace loves a good Wiener Schnitzel.

I am actually in Wien again this week - so what a great time to talk about Wiener Schnitzel!!! Actually, I don't know if Jace really loves it or it is just easy to recognize on the menu and is delicious and is therefore one of his favorites. But regardless, it has become a bit of a running joke now that if there is Wiener Schnitzel on the menu, he is all over it. One Wiener Schnitzel please!

And with a beauty like this, I think I want to become a Wiener Schnitzel Connoisseur, too!

Jace especially loves the Wiener Schnitzel varietz. There are different 'Arts' or types of Schnitzel, but the one from Vienna or Wien is probably what most people recognize as THE Schnitzel. It is veal, pounded thin and coated in breadcrumbs and then FRIED, of course. The super traditional sides are a slice of lemon and some lingonberry jam - and don't be fooled. Lingonberry is not cranberry or raspberry or currants - it is lingonberry and is also native to the Cape Code/New England area of the States, but I had never had it until now.

Ahh, yes, very traditional and delicious - Wiener Schnitzel with lemon and Lingonberry. Yummy.

Jace had this beast at the Gaestehaus near the camping grounds in Bregenz on the Bodensee. DELICOUS.

6 comments:

N said...

That sort of looks like fish 'N Chips. Is it the same thing?

V said...

I LOVE Wiener schnitzel! You have me drooling with that picture. And I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard just last night on some sort of news program that the schnitzel actually originated in Italy...go figure!

Jessica said...

I love it too to be honest. It is just so yummy and fried and yummy! :) I think I might have to have one from Wien (at least this is where the name originated!!!) while I am here this week.

I guess if the Greeks can lay claim to pizza then the Italians can claim the schnitzel... Why not! :)

Jessica said...

Oh and bluefish, it is a bit like Fish in Chips in that it is fried and served with chips and a lemon, but the big difference is that it is veal! Very yummy. Make sure you get some on your next trip to Germany, Austria or Switzerland. I am sure you can probably even get it in Denmark somewhere! :)

Unknown said...

Could you please explain what a fischertag is?

Jessica said...

Hello Beverly!

I sure can. Fischertag is a festival in Memmingen, Germany (Bavaria) that we went to in July where the men of Memmingen all jump into the creek and fish out all the fish in preparation for draining out all the water to clean the creek.

I wrote about it shortly after we went. You can read the posts and see some fun pictures here:
Fishertag Part 1

Fishertag Part 2

I highly recommend going next year! It was really fun.

 

Contact me. | Advertise on Swisstory